Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hope

I was reading my June issue of the Ensign a couple of days ago. That's a monthly magazine published by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There, on page 9, is a beautiful poem titled "Walking with Two Sisters" by Larry Hiller. I tried to copy the poem here, but there is a copyright issue. No can do. However, the entire article is available at the posted URL with the poem. Please read it. It was a wonderful uplifting thought about Hope. It's one man's perspective that really seems to explain what Hope truly is. I'm going to cut the poem out, laminate it and tack it to my bathroom mirror. I think it will be a great way to start my day.

The article, condensed by yours truly:

We all know the three sisters: Faith, Hope and Charity. Faith comes in strong and can move mountains. Charity is modest and refined. But Hope seems fickle, like she's unable to make a decision. The author, Larry Hiller, states it's based on the way people use her name: I "hope" I find my watch; I "hope" it doesn't rain. It's a 50/50 chance on what Hope is likely to do.

His interest in getting to know Hope was based on a scripture he heard quoted in a Sacrament meeting: Romans 5:3-5 (look it up or read the article). He didn't "get" the scripture and pondered it for a while. He finally came to the conclusion that "Hope is anything but wishful. It is expectation based on experience."

I love the way he describes Hope: "Her eyes have the deep, knowing look of someone well acquainted with sorrow...the confidence of one who clearly sees a bright future even when the next hours seem fog shrouded. Hope is steady and strong, a friend I am glad to have beside me during my own trials."

As I read this article, I wrote some thoughts on the page: Hope doesn't give up. Hope will always find a reason to go on. Hope knows something better is on the horizon; Hope diligently seeks for it. Hope lives in all of us. We just need to let Hope out more often.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=6a25ceb47f381210VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1


2 comments:

  1. I looked for my June issue yesterday after reading this (from my phone). I am still searching for it.
    I can't wait to sit and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think. I was totally blown away by it. As you can probably tell.

    ReplyDelete